Re: Source for brass channel

Dale Buxton

Long ago (about 25 plus years now) I was working on the same type of project, channel iron for a tender frame. I made some very small channels out of brass bar stock. Using first a slotting saw in my lathe and then a milling machine. Along the way,  I encountered a problem that I still don't know how to overcome. It has to do with longitudinal stress relief. When Brass bar stock is extruded, it develops (so I am told) an annealing stress along its length. I my case, the bar stock I was working kept warping away from the slotting saw or milling head as I worked down its length. Every time I finished a cut and I went to reposition the stock in the vise to continue the slot. The stock had developed a springy warp in it that curved away from the cut in it. I tried several times to eliminate warping effect but I never figured it out. 

I realized some time later that I was annealing the brass and adding hardness to one side but not the other. I thought about heating the brass to relieve the new annealing that I had created, But I didn't want to soften the brass too much and make it useless. I was really on unsure ground here and had no one to ask what to do to fix the problem. (I still don't) At the time, I had to resort to bending it back the the other way from the warpage. This of coarse made the brass even harder! I eventually got enough channel to complete the the tender frame members so I never investigated how to eliminate the warping that I got. After that I discovered "Special Shapes"  and never attempted to make my own channels again. With Special Shapes gone, I will either have to find a new vender or workout the stress relief problem.

D Buxton

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 5:08 PM Mike Van Hove <vanhovem22@...> wrote:
If I understand the problem, I would say this is not for a saw, but for a small milling machine.

Now, you have an excuse for buying one of those.

Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO

> On Oct 6, 2019, at 11:06 AM, Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:
>
> Yes, I was wondering that too, I've got one of those Microlux table saws, but I'm not sure I've got the right blade for this task.  I'll have to look.  It would take just the right plate around the blade too to prevent the material from slipping into the machinery.
>
> Bill Lugg
>
>
> On 10/6/19 9:52 AM, Brian Kopp wrote:
>> Bill for ripping tube like that I wonder if there is a smallish table saw out there in the hobby market.....
>>
>> That might be nice for other ripping tasks too like wood or brass sheet stock.....
>>
>> Its always a good time to buy tools.... =)
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>> Brian Kopp
>> Jacksonville, FL
>
>
>

Join HOn3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.