Re: Source for brass channel

Dale Buxton

Long ago (about 25 plus years now) I was working on the same type of project, channel iron for a tender frame. I made some very small channels out of brass bar stock. Using first a slotting saw in my lathe and then a milling machine. Along the way,  I encountered a problem that I still don't know how to overcome. It has to do with longitudinal stress relief. When Brass bar stock is extruded, it develops (so I am told) an annealing stress along its length. I my case, the bar stock I was working kept warping away from the slotting saw or milling head as I worked down its length. Every time I finished a cut and I went to reposition the stock in the vise to continue the slot. The stock had developed a springy warp in it that curved away from the cut in it. I tried several times to eliminate warping effect but I never figured it out.

I realized some time later that I was annealing the brass and adding hardness to one side but not the other. I thought about heating the brass to relieve the new annealing that I had created, But I didn't want to soften the brass too much and make it useless. I was really on unsure ground here and had no one to ask what to do to fix the problem. (I still don't) At the time, I had to resort to bending it back the the other way from the warpage. This of coarse made the brass even harder! I eventually got enough channel to complete the the tender frame members so I never investigated how to eliminate the warping that I got. After that I discovered "Special Shapes"  and never attempted to make my own channels again. With Special Shapes gone, I will either have to find a new vender or workout the stress relief problem.

D Buxton

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 5:08 PM Mike Van Hove <vanhovem22@...> wrote:
If I understand the problem, I would say this is not for a saw, but for a small milling machine.

Now, you have an excuse for buying one of those.

Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO