Re: Resistance soldering

Mick Moignard

Another option is just to use a larger - higher wattage - regular soldering iron.  I wouldn’t go anywhere near a brass model an iron smaller than 50watt, and regularly use a 75watt with a large bit (large=lots of heat capacity).  You need lots of instant heat so that you can heat up and make the joint before the heat spreads to nearby joints. Basically you need to overwhelm it with localised heat. And I mean heat, and not temperature here.

But for most work, I do use an RSU merely because it is so much faster; many brass repairs with it are in and out, done, in a couple of seconds, and long before there is enough heat in there to spread to other nearby joints.

Mick

Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard