Re: D&RG early 2-8-0

jczul36

Lol
The first kits where tender drive models

On Sep 8, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

We, both my KITS came in shoe boxes.  Darn autocorrect!

Mike Conder

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 10:06 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
Both my kids came in shoe boxes!  But the solid both is probably a good give-away ....

Mike Conder

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 8:38 AM jczul36 via Groups.Io <zul36=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
There were two runs of Kemtron kits.  The first run is in s little box and has the earlier drivers. The second run is a more refined kit with superior etchings and better drivers.  It’s the one in the brown rectangular box.
jc

On Sep 7, 2019, at 7:55 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Nice to know, but what do you mean by "updated drivers?". How can you tell which ones are the updated ones?

I know very little about the various versions of the Kemtron kits, though I have one with a solid brass boiler.

Mike Conder

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 8:35 PM jczul36 via Groups.Io <zul36=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mike the old Kemtron’s run great if it’s the one with updated drivers.  I use a NWSL 28-1 gearbox and replace the Kemtron Gearbox. I did the Blackstone just to see if I could do it.
jc

On Sep 7, 2019, at 11:22 AM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Those Class 56 locos were very, very similar to the later Class 60 locos that became the C-16's when the D&RG became the D&RGW.  Basically only an inch or two difference in both diameters ... hard to see in HO.

I have the same issue, as I model an area that received three surplus Class 56 locos from the D&RG/RGW/RGS.  I have a couple of Kemtron kits for parts that I am thinking of adding to Westside C-16's, essentially rebuilding the superstructure and using the Kemtron tender.

JC Zuolaga recently took a Blackstone C-19 and married it to a Kemtron but that took a lot of frame work too.  But it runs a lot better than an old Kemtron (not saying much, a brick sometimes runs better than an old Kemtron!)

Mike Conder

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 10:30 AM Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:
Thanks Bruce. I'll start looking......

Brian Kopp