NG convention attraction

Brian Kopp

I was lucky enough to visit Roaring Camp for the first time last Sunday while on vacation with the family. We road the 3' gauge Redwood train with their 40 ton shay and had a great time on the switchbacks and that one grade that is near 10%. The Heisler was out when we got back and it took the next Redwood train out. First time I ever saw a Heisler running so it was a special day. What a blast! Why wife and daughter even gave me a few minutes to rummage around in the yard where the Climax is disassembled (as well as another Shay). The Climax trucks were sitting out and it was really cool to see the ring and beveled gear arrangement on the axles up close. Picture below.....