Re: coupler slinky effect

waynecohen49@...

IIRC, didn’t some early Kadee couplers come with a small dowel (Metal?) that went inside of the spring?  KD #4 perhaps?

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
I model the East Broad Top, so most of my cars are Blackstone hoppers, that come with couplers installed.  I do have a backlog of C&BT hopper kits for which it would make sense to use the double spring solution, since I would have to assemble the 714 couplers in any case.  I don't think I would be inclined to change the couplers on the Blackstone hopper cars, however.  But I still have a stock of kits for various EBT rolling stock, including passenger cars, tank cars, steel box cars, a stock car, etc.  I am convinced by this idea that if and when I build them I will use the double springs in the couplers.

Russ Norris

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 10:45 AM Margie & Larry Galkowski <margielarrygalkowski@...> wrote:
Ok here is my findings.
Pulling a ten car train, 8 cars having the double spring 2 cars normal, the only slinky affect I encountered is on the cars with normal couplers. I did not have an issues running the train on curves, thru turnouts, up or down grade. The only slack action was between the knuckles which did not mimic the slinky affect.
Not saying this is the cure as other ideas might  get the same results, but I am pleased with the results. Only time will tell. Works for me. I think this is the way I am going to proceed.
ED I am definitely staying away from hydraulics & grease. LOL
Bill you idea with the wire insert may work, but with my physical limitations I would have trouble with that. So that experiment is in your hands. One thought, with the double springs vs the wire , there is still some sort on cushion with the springs.
Thank you all for listening & your input. Without this forum I would have thought slinky action was normal & acceptable.

Larry G

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 7:19 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:
Just spit balling here, but would a short piece of wire in the center of
the spring a little shorter than the required compression distance fix
the problem?  Unfortunately, I can't test this right now as I don't have
any NG track laid on my layout yet.

Just a thought.
Bill Lugg

--