Re: Mounting Tortoise Machine through Foam

Russ Norris

Yes, I have read other reports about laminating doorskin to the foam.  I am sure that would work.  Unfortunately, I learned about that trick long after I constructed my layout.  My foam is glued to the wooden support grid with Liquid Nails.  That, together with all the wires that would have to be rerouted, makes adding lamination to the railroad an impossible task at this point.  If I were starting over, that might be something to consider.  But for my situation, I have become accustomed to the rumbling of trains around the layout, and I hardly notice it anymore.  (I will say that when I video recorded a train running around the layout, the rumbling was more noticeable than I knew.  That's life.)

Russ Norris

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 9:50 PM Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...> wrote:
I have a large layout using 2” extruded (blue) foam. It is as quiet or quieter than the traditional Homosote and plywood. Here was how:
I have worked with acousticians over the years. I learned that dissimilar materials can often cancel out resonant frequencies. Without that, the foam acts like a drum, magnifying the rumble.
The solution I used was to bond thin doorskin plywood or thin Masonite to the underside of the foam panels creating a composite assembly. That assembly will span more than 32”; the 1x3 framing or heavy plywood top is unneeded. And the noise is nearly silent - trust me! An added benefit is switch machines and wiring can be screwed firmly to the underside of the assembly.
It works; saves time; results in a much thinner deck. Try it!
Jim