From: Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...>
Date: 1/21/19 6:19 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io, finescaleminiatures@groups.io, HOn30@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Mounting Tortoise Machine through Foam

The substrate for my HO scale railroad is 2 inch extruded foam (the pink stuff) on an open grid of pine 1x4s.  I have tried several ways to mount Tortoise machines.  Early on I cut a hole in the foam big enough for the Tortoise to fit in.  Then I cut a square of wood or styrene slightly bigger than the hole (1/8 or 1/16 inch thick as I recall) and screwed the machine to it.  I cut away 1/8" off  the top of the foam so the Tortoise fit even with the top of the foam.  A little glue to secure it, then I just lay the switch over it.

Later I found it was easier (especially retro fitting the switch machine for an installed and ballasted track) to mount the machine under the foam.  I still attach it to a 1/8" square of thin plywood, but now I drill a 1/2" hole under the throw rod and cement the wood square to the underside with Liquid Nails.  I use a wood pole and shims to hold the machine in place until the glue dries.  Never had one come loose.  If I ever have to remove the machine, I can unscrew it from below.

Oh, and by the way, I am 77.  I use one of those adjustable shower stools to sit on when I work underneath.