Re: Mounting Tortoise Machine through Foam

lloyd lehrer

Al, consider just cutting a rectangular hole in the foam so a tortoise fits in tight enough to hold it when placed in from the top side of the foam. The shape of the tortoise is perfect for it holding itself in place. You hold it in with a cover  that you can place over it and use screws into the foam or an adhesive. you cut a slot in the actuator side of the foam to allow the mechanism room to move. The rest of it is just mechanical placement of the crank or throw shaft to suit your turnout location. A hole in the underplaying plywood will be needed to let the rest hang thru.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Jan 20, 2019 8:52 PM, "asandrini" <asandrini@...> wrote:
Hello,

Sorry for the multiple listings, but I am trying to reach as many modelers
as possible to see if there is an answer to my problem.

In the construction of my port town of Scott's Bay, I used 2" form on ½"
plywood.  As a river, the bay and wharf areas were to be lower than ground
level, I thought it would be easier to cut it out of the pink foam.  My
conundrum is that I cannot mount Tortoise machines in their normal manner.
I purchased some of their remote mounts, but my 71 year old knees are having
trouble kneeling down and trying to fit everything together under the bottom
of the benchwork (40" in height, track is at 42 7/8" ).  I would like to use
the Tortoise machine to move a wire that rises through a tube two ties from
the throwbar.  The wire would be bent at 90 degrees and then another bend of
90 degrees to drop it down through the throwbar.

What I am wanting to do is mount the Tortoise in its normal manner and have
the wire which attaches to the machine move the wire that moves the
throwbar.  I am sure that someone out there has come up with a way to do
this.

My crude drawing attached is a way in which I think may work, but am needing
some help from the groups.

I am going to try to embed the drawing here, but will also add it as an
attachment.

Al

--
lloyd lehrer