Re: Dark clouds? Death of the hobby?

duncan

Don,

    You are right, of course.  She needed to see a direct correlation to the actual subjects I was teaching - Eastern Hemisphere - early man, Mesopotamia, Ancient Greece, Rome, Middle Ages, Renaissance, etc.  But, you are exactly correct, each of the various subjects connects with model railroading in different and important ways, as you indicated.  And unfortunately, today, due to concern that "johnny can't read", many of these subjects have either been dropped, or repressed a great deal.  So, my middle school dropped, shop, pushed the social sciences into the background and instead emphasized reading, writing, spelling, 'rithmatic and science.  Often taking ss class time to work on these others.  So, very little critical thinking, etc.  was being emphasized.  That's most of why I got out when I could.

                                                        Duncan