Re: Dark clouds? Death of the hobby? was Re: [HOn3] Low Cost HOn3?

Steven Haworth

Nonsense - the hobby is booming.  The number of craftsman kit manufacturers and details boggles the mind.  RPM meets are growing every year. The online communities, including a ton of hobby-specific groups on forums, YouTube, Facebook, etc are exploding. Podcasts are exploding - so many I can't find the time to keep up with listening, even listening daily on my commute. YouTube also - far more videos than anyone could keep up with.

Locally (at least here in the Chicago area), there's more layouts running op sessions - amazing, beautiful layouts - than I can possibly find time even to visit.

Hobby shops probably are declining, but sales online (and also research and sharing) are exploding.
Hobby ain't dead.  :-)

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 2:49 PM Darryl Huffman via Groups.Io <darrylhuffman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had a hobby shop in 1973.

Slot car tracks were all the rage and everyone was forecasting the doom of the model railroad hobby.

Radio control airplanes were just taking off.  Everyone was forecasting the doom of the model railroad hobby.

The Gazette had not published issue number 1 yet.

Just think of all the wonderful kits and locomotives and sound systems we have seen introduced in the intervening 45 years.

What a great hobby and how wonderful it has been to be alive to enjoy all the new stuff.

I'm looking forward to the Narrow Gauge Convention in Sacramento next Fall.

I guess if the hobby is dead then I will be the only one there.

Darryl Huffman

You can follow my model building career on my blog at:

and

Remember, without closets, model manufacturers would never be profitable.