Re: Track Spacing and use of Cork Roadbed

Jim Marlett

I live in Wichita, KS. My layouts have been in basements except for an apartment in Colorado Springs in 1970-1971. That one was a 2x8 switching layout in a spare bedroom. The “layouts” have actually been the same layout moved three times and expanded between each move. It was about 22’ x 11’ before the last move. With the exception of our time in Colorado Springs, the houses have had AC in summer and humidifiers on furnaces in winter. I haven’t kept track of relative humidity, but it does vary. However, I have not experienced any of the troubles expressed by others. Except for the switching layout, my layouts have been hand laid track on Homasote with a 1/2” plywood sub-roadbed. Except for the 2x8 switching layout in Colorado Springs, they have all been L-girder construction. The original switching layout, though converted to narrow gauge and cookie cuttered and put on L-girders, has been part of the layout ever since the beginning. I have never soldered a rail joiner, I always left room for expansion and contraction between rail segments and, for what it’s worth, each piece of track has a feeder - even the switch points. I moved my railroad almost seven years ago and after what seems like forever, am finally reassembling it in a completely different configuration. I have experienced some warping after laying on a basement floor that flooded on several occasions until I fixed the plumbing and the leaks in the basement walk-out. So far only one section has given me fits and once I had it straightened back out, it has worked well. I may change my tune when I get to the helix required by the new configuration. It will be no more than two laps and I plan to use flex track. If I really work hard, it will be several months before I get there, so I won’t know if it presents problems or not for quite a while. I suppose I should mention that I have one six foot section that was done with HO cork roadbed cut down to HOn3 size. I didn’t care for the cork and went back to Homasote, but it hasn’t done anything weird in the expansion and contraction department. It has been in place since the 1970s.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/