Re: C&C/SP Owenyo, CA transfer trestle?

Mike Conder

Yeah, wood is great but does take a certain amount of hobby time.  Same as building a passenger car, fairly simple but sometimes it's easier to get a 3D printed model than build your own ...

Mike Conder

On Nov 21, 2018 6:16 PM, "Mike Van Hove" <vanhovem22@...> wrote:
You know guys, nothing looks as much like wood as wood itself.

Trestle bents aren’t hard to make.  Just make a simple jig on a piece of Styrene, ply wood or even Cardboard.

Then, once you get the jig made, grab your NWSL Chopper, or equivalent, and chop the needed pieces.

A little dab of glue, (I prefer Titebond, but white will work), put the wood in place, let it dry for a while.  An hour with Titebond is plenty.  2 jigs is a big time saver, if making a lot of pieces.

Carefully, remove the bent from the jig, and start over.

Might do well to lay the freshly removed bent on a flat surface with a weight for a while.

You will soon have a lot of bents, and in not a lot more time then it will take to design a Shapeways Printout, send it off, wait for your turn in the process, deburr the new parts, maybe have to straighten a few (or all)

And you still have something that looks like plastic.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I have used several printed items, (The printed HOn3 Coupler Boxes discussed not long ago), and they work fine.

But I still like working with real wood.

Now, I’ll get down off my soapbox, and go take my wife out for dinner.

Mikd Van Hove

On Nov 21, 2018, at 6:54 PM, Chris Kodani via Groups.Io <ckodani@...> wrote:

Trestle bents seem like a natural thing to print up, but there's been a lot of talk about 3D printed models warping over time. I can't help but wonder about something as tall and spindly as a trestle--it seems like gravity would warp the resin over time. Has anybody out there successfully 3D printed a trestle?