Re: Bending ME Turnouts

Alan Kilby

Theres a very good tutorial for building turnouts on railwayeng.com
This tutorial shows how to build frogs for any #/ratio you need frogs.Also forming points and stock rails/entire turnout
Alan

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:05:27 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Bending ME Turnouts

You're right, of course.  I participated in a hands on clinic a few years ago taught by Dick Johannes from the HUB division on building a switch from scratch -- no frog, no points, just rail and a file.  We used a printed diagram on a piece of wood, laid the track on the picture, then spiked the rail .  I still have the switch.  Once you've done a few, I imagine it gets easier.  

Russ Norris

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/15/18 8:57 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Bending ME Turnouts

From what I’ve read, in the beginnings of HO scale, there weren’t any premade switches at all, but there was flex track. All the switches had to be laid by hand at first, and later frogs became available as components. I know that the jigs that are now available from Fast Tracks must be of great help, but certainly folks must have been able to build switches without them. 

Bob, this is a great thread you started! Whatever you decide to do, please keep us updated—like a great novel , I’ve just got to see how it turns out! Chris Kodani 

Join HOn3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.