Re: K-36 #487 in HOn3

Darryl Huffman

I find the Quick Pic books to be excellent resources for pictures of how the subjects actually weather.

The very close-up detail photos cannot be found any other way.

True, the equipment is photographed in their latter years, but the old time train photographers were not taking photos of small details.

For someone trying to realistically weather a locomotive the books cannot be beat.

On Monday, September 24, 2018, 2:11 PM, John Stutz via Groups.Io <john.c.stutz@...> wrote:

Jim

Regarding the Quick Pic Books: Those based on recent photographs of long out of
service rolling stock occasionally fail to comment on missing and altered or
"restored" details.  These books are excellent for what they show, and show much
that you will not find published anywhere else, but they only show what was on
the locomotive or car at the time it was photographed.  They cannot be matched
for their photographic documentation of existing rolling stock, but documenting
the missing bits requires more than good photography.

So check their photos against photos taken while the subject or similar subjects
were still operating.  And keep in mind that steam locomotives in particular
were often greatly altered over their operating lifetime.

John Stutz