Re: Caboose Industry Ground Throw Sprung

Jim Marlett

Support of the throw rod varies. If it isn’t too far, I don’t support it with anything. However, the ground throw’s throw rod goes into a gizmo fashioned from brass, not the switch's throw rod itself. That way nothing really has to support the long wire. If the reach is long, I sleeve the rod in a brass tube or solder the rod to a piece of square tubing. It is much easier to show than to describe.

This picture shows the gizmo that goes under the points. The tube goes through a hole under the throw bar and connects with the throw bar by a pin that drops through a small hole in the throw bar and drops into the tube. The picture is a little confusing because the gizmo would sit with the square tubing 90º to the track, not parallel as the picture might imply. The hole in the square tube on the other end is where my wire to the ground throw attaches. The two holes in the flat plate are for screws that hold the assembly to the sub-roadbed.

This is what it looks like under the roadbed. This one is in a yard so there is plenty of plywood. The one by two on the right is glued to the fascia and whatever might be nearby and is what the platform that holds the ground throw is screwed into. Notice the wire is not supported and has a couple of bends to allow it to flex and to make adjustment easier. I usually put only one or two bends in the wire. I’m not sure why this one has two. You can’t see it in the photo, but the wire is held in place by simply bending the end down. In this case, the hole for the wire has a brass tube soldered into it for a tighter fit. I prefer this to just a hole. I’m not sure how many pictures I can put in a single post, so I’ll put some more photos in another post.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Sep 13, 2022, at 10:14 AM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

Jim,

Interesting variation on manual turnout controls.
2 questions...
How do you support the long throw rod over long distances, under the sub roadbed?
How are you attaching the small hand thrown mounting platforms, to the fascia board?

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.