Re: July RMC Editorial on NG diesels

Mark Lewis

Zack Pabis,

In your post above, regarding your building of WP&Y diesel units in HOn3...why did you say...." With waning interest for narrow gauge stuff ".....?????
What waning interest?  Where did you get that idea or statistics from?  With the number of postings on this and other social media Narrow Gauge Modeling groups and the many Narrow Gauge Modeling Facebook groups that exist with a healthy number of postings, every day...I don't think your comment is warranted. Just my opinion....yours or others may vary.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Sat, Jul 9, 2022 at 4:32 PM Zach Pabis <zachpabis@...> wrote:
For those curious, I'm working on a few of WP&Y diesels for a customer. This DL535e is mostly 3D printed on a narrowed Kato RSD chassis. The customer really wanted to use this chassis so the model is a little oversize, but otherwise pretty spot on. These are definitely not RTR and I probably won't make any more, but I think this is how the future of the hobby will look. With waning interest for narrow gauge stuff, modellers will be turning to modern digital manufacturing technologies to help them build models themselves. I would like to see more drive components though, as you can't really print that. I will be selling the 3D files for this and a scale version of the shell on my website soon.

-Zach

On Sat, Jul 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Geodyssey <east@...> wrote:
I also read that article and I agree that not only narrow gauge diesels are needed, but small locos (less than 80 tons) would also be welcome in standard gauge.

The EMD G8, 12, 16 series works for both.

Approx zero chance Rapido will not be doing a NG diesel. Looking at their poorly rendered PA-1, that's a good thing.

On the other hand, this 3D-printed narrow gauge box cab diesel was made using a $300 home printer on a Bachmann 45-ton side rod chassis.  It was one of the creator's first projects yet it's VERY well done.  The sheet metal sides are completely smooth, no "stripes" from the printing process.  It's nicer than many injection molded styrene models.

"Part 2: Building a 3D Printed AGEIR Style 45 Ton Boxcab Diesel With Side Rods In Hon3"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCo-bpQjB8M

Rob Simpson

Art,

Yes..I did read the Perspective article in the July issue of RMC.

My mind went directly to thinking of the various White Pass & Yukon diesel locomotives that could be produced in RTR HOn3.
Now...will someone at Rapido or Scale Trains, see the business viability of actually producing such locomotives?

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.