Re: John W Maxwell Collection

Jim Marlett

I’m assuming that the images were published before 1978 when copyright laws changed.

If the image was produced before 1978, the maximum length of copyright duration is 95 years from the date of publication or registration if the copyright was renewed during the 28th year of publication. Therefore, everything published or registered 95 years ago (1923) is in the public domain assuming copyright was renewed.

Works created after 1978 do not have to be published or registered to receive copyright protection and the copyright extends for the life of the creator plus 70 years, but I doubt this applies to the Maxwell photos.

If the work was created before 1978, but not published or registered until after 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years.

The other question is whether or not anyone will pursue legal action for violating their copyright. That one I can’t begin to answer.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and my understanding of copyright law could be very flawed.

On Aug 21, 2018, at 10:22 AM, Mike Smith via Groups.Io <spmike50@...> wrote:

Since it has been years looking for a source to this collection and no one has found one,  Is there anything wrong or illegal in modelers scanning the John W Maxwell photo's they purchased years ago, and posting them?

Mike Smith
Tucson, AZ