Re: dual gauge turntable

Nigel Phillips

Hi Alan,

I wasn't joking. Not all commercial wheels are truly concentric, and unless you have a lot of patience curving rail to a perfect circle with a radius of 6 or so inches is rarely achieved. That's why the flange needs to go. Concentricity needs a run out gauge,  if you don't have a lathe you probably won't have one. A decent micometer will check the diameter is constant, but not whether the axle is centered. It also helps if you can spring the wheels so there is always positive contact with the rail.

I've used a Dremel and swiss file as a lathe/cutter, although getting a perfectly flat tread and equal diameters can be tricky. Be aware that the plating will be removed. My cheap hobby lathe ($90) is good enough for this, and gives a flat tread (end point being when the plating goes stop!).

One quick solution if the turntable is not for scenic display is to use Lazy Susan roller bearing mechanisms. Usually only a few dollars (Aus or US), and thin enough to be laid flat.

How are you intending to deal with the electrics? This is the Achilles heel of commercial and DIY turntables, especially if you are DCC. If the purpose is to simply turn the locomotive 180° then it can be kept simple. If it's part of the scenery then it can get....complicated.

Nigel

On Tuesday, March 1, 2022, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
An electric drill and a file will probably work.

Mike Conder

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 4:14 PM <alsands@...> wrote:
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the info, I would never have thought of round wheels, I don't have a lathe but I am sure I can work something out.

Alan

--
Mike Conderentered