Re: Wells, French & Co.

Nigel Phillips

Hi Randy,

Thanks. Midwestern has one of their box cars. The pre- merger documents may be in a university archives. Still chasing that. The national archives in Canada appear to have some information.

Interesting that a Canadian Company would order gondolas from the US. Must have been cheaper, nearest Canadian manufacturer would have been in Toronto or Montreal. I wonder who made their passenger cars?

Nigel

On Friday, January 28, 2022, Randy Hees <randyhees@...> wrote:
There is a quick history here

In looking at some Railroad Gazettes it looks like after merging into AC&F that it was used to build smaller lots of more specialized or technical cars like dump cars and refrigerator cars.

Randy Hees

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 10:25 AM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
Hi All,

In researching the Alberta Railway and Coal Company I came across a mention of who made the cars for the Lethbridge-Grand Falls 3' gauge line (and presumably the coal gondolas) - Wells, French & Co. of Chicago. This order was placed in probably 1890-91 before the amalgamation with the American Car and Foundry Co.

Does anybody have any information on the company?

Nigel