Topics

USRA 2-8-2s

Stefan <stefan@...>

As far as i understand it, the WP class MK60 #306-310 were the USRA engines
bought from the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern(#802-806) in 1920. These should be
similar to the Athearn 2-8-2s (r perhaps the Rivs--see below) and may be a
good model with some modifications. These were oil burners. However, at
320000lbs total engine wt. are these Heavy Mikes? What is the division of
heavy vs. light for theseUSRA types?
Best regards

Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, B.C. Canada

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

Hi Stefan,

I believe the distinction between light and heavy was one of axle loading.
Both used the same running gear, but many railroads had lighter rail that
necessitated the use of a smaller boiler to reduce the overall per-axle
load. At the moment I forget what the axle loadings were.

Regards,
Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

As far as i understand it, the WP class MK60 #306-310 were the USRA engines
bought from the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern(#802-806) in 1920. These should be
similar to the Athearn 2-8-2s (r perhaps the Rivs--see below) and may be a
good model with some modifications. These were oil burners. However, at
320000lbs total engine wt. are these Heavy Mikes? What is the division of
heavy vs. light for theseUSRA types?
Best regards

Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, B.C. Canada

Looking for an easy, effective way to research an important topic?
http://www.onelist.com
Joining a ONElist community is your answer.

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

I should add that the Western Pacific was not one of those railroads that
needed reduced axle loadings because a) it was built relatively late as
compared to other railroads, and thus was built to more modern standards and
b) was mostly mainline with almost no small branchlines. WP could easily
accommodate very heavy engines.

Thomas

I believe the distinction between light and heavy was one of axle loading.
Both used the same running gear, but many railroads had lighter rail that
necessitated the use of a smaller boiler to reduce the overall per-axle
load. At the moment I forget what the axle loadings were.

Regards,
Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

I believe the numbers you mention were in fact Heavy Mikes.

Differences mainly are in the diameter of the boiler, but there are
others I am sure.

Leo