Topics

The end of the line for Grandt Line

SP4149

Grandt Line is calling it quits.

https://www.grandtline.com/

Over the years I have used their  universals, gears, and even a motor or two in a variety of projects

and built many kits using their detail parts.  I once worked in a hobby shop and once a month we did a Grandt Line

inventory with a distributor who carried their full line in the trunk of his large sedan.  Almost every scale I owned

had some Grandt parts that were usable.

I have an On3 RGS 3 truck brass Goose with a Grandt replacement drive.  It runs great but one driver wheel is slightly off-center

so it 'wobbles' down the track.  I was running it on a friend's large O/On3 layout when the Grandt's happened to

visit, and they told me to wirte them and they would send me a replacement geared driver.  About the same time I visited

the Colorado Railroad Museum during an 'Operations' day.  That year they didn't have any steam engines operational, so they

were running a Goose on their trackage. WE may not have run more than a quarter mile on their tracks, but by the end I was shaken,

not stirred.  I never replaced that driver, even though it didn't shake the model as much as the real thing.

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com

HO and Sn42

Ken Adams

So sad to hear this.

They are located only 3 miles from where I live. Once I was looking for special windows for a UK 4 mm project and they invited me over and let me look through all of the inventory shelves of windows to see if any would be right for the project.  I found some O scale windows that actually worked.

But all things change. So many model railroad structures are now sold RTR and the dollhouse business must also be dying. Architects no longer need to use detail parts when they can 3 D render and 3 D print if physical models are needed.

While I recognize the winds of change, Grandt Line was a truly California/US business and it is sad to hear of their impending passing.

Thanks for the news even if it is ill news.

Ken Adams
Walnut Creek

Wayne Long

On 3/15/2018 12:21 AM, SP4149 wrote:

Grandt Line is calling it quits.

https://www.grandtline.com/

Please pardon my ignorance, but I can't recall ever dealing with Grandt Line.

From what you have indicated just below, their operation was similar in products to NWSL.  In what did they specialize?

Wayne Long

[...]

Ken Clark

Cliff Grandt's long time interest was narrow gauge, especially Colorado.  They produced plastic detail parts for structures,
and cars in a variety of scales. complete kits in On3 for tank cars and drop bottom gondolas, and detail parts for craftsman
kits produced by other manufacturers.  They produced Delrin freight and passenger car trucks, replacement mechanisms
for the Kemtron Shay and the LMB RGS Goose.  Plan books for narrow gauge and logging equipment.  And tiny 'critter'
locomotives in HOn3 and On3.  When scratchbuilding you checked the Grandt catalog to see how many parts were already
available so you could concentrate on the rest.

When you think outside the box,
You are out of the loop.
Chula Vista, CA 91921