Topics

Taking a Athearn Genesis pacific apart - Universals

morey200152

While we're on the topic, how does the valve gear come apart on the Genesis Mikados? Most guides seem to stop with removing the boiler. In particular, how does one take the eccentric crank off from the main crank pin? I have taken my engines apart to this point, but for some reason this disassembly does not appear obvious to me. Is it a threaded crankpin or some sort of push on friction fit?

Chris Morey

Wayne Long

On 7/29/2013 9:15 AM, morey200152 wrote:

While we're on the topic, how does the valve gear come apart on the
Genesis Mikados? Most guides seem to stop with removing the boiler. In
particular, how does one take the eccentric crank off from the main
crank pin? I have taken my engines apart to this point, but for some
reason this disassembly does not appear obvious to me. Is it a
threaded crankpin or some sort of push on friction fit?

Chris Morey
Chris,

Look closely at the crank pin location. You should see a very, very
small Phillips head screw that you will have to match exactly with a
screwdriver bit. I believe the screw has right-hand threads. After you
carefully remove the screw and save it, the eccentric lifts off of the
boss on the driver. Mark the position of the eccentric before you work
on the screw to save frustration later, when you assemble the
locomotive. BTW, the side rods are held in place by hex-headed, small
machine screws.

Wayne Long

morey200152

--- In HOsteam@..., acl-wayne wrote:
Thanks for the tip, I thought I had tried the pin with a screwdriver
previously, without success. The next time I have a need to strip one
of my Mikes down I will remember this