Topics

Starter topic: new steam locos from Bachmann and Athearn

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

Hi All,

I figured I'd start off a discussion of Bachmann's upcoming 4-8-2 and
Athearn's 2-8-2. Does anyone have any plans for modifying them for specific
prototypes? I'm curious to know if which, if any, Southern Pacific/Western
Pacific/Santa Fe engines could be built using these as a start.

http://www.athearn.com/282.html
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/bachmann/new/lightmountain.html

Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

METEOR910@...

<< I figured I'd start off a discussion of Bachmann's upcoming 4-8-2 and
Athearn's 2-8-2. >>

I just finally bought an undec Bachmann 2-8-0 last week. Will turn it in to
a SLSF Consolidation - doing research now to see which of the 1200's or
1300's would be the best match. Any ideas?

Have ordered an Athearn light USRA Mike in the Frisco colors - the 4000's.
We'll see how that turns out.

I see the Bachmann 4-8-2 will be available as a NC&StL as well as a MoP. I'm
sure I'll select one of those two roads if I get one of the Mountains.

Look forward to the list discussion.

Ken
St Louis

C. Jackson Wyatt III <cjwyatt@...>

METEOR910@aol.com wrote:

I just finally bought an undec Bachmann 2-8-0 last week. Will turn it
in to
a SLSF Consolidation - doing research now to see which of the 1200's
or
1300's would be the best match. Any ideas?
You're in luck. Many of us model roads whose consolidations only had
56/57" drivers. IIRC, the Bachmann's drivers measure out to be 61", but
with HO size flanges and driver spacing, they have more the appearance
of 63" drivers. SLSF consolidations nos. 1266-1345 had 63" drivers.
Without a diagram to compare measurements, I could see the Bachmann as
no. 1300 (BLW, 1910), pictured on page 16 of Collias's Frisco Power (a
must for SLSF steam fans). You would need to change some details such as
removing the sand dome and installing a smaller one closer to the front,
adding a second dual air compressor, and cutting down the length of the
tender. The valve gear of No. 1300 looks like a Walschaerts and I
believe the Bachmann is a Baker. However the hangers for the reversing
linkages are similar shaped in this case, so at first glance the
difference is not noticeable. I think it could be a convincing kitbash.

Have ordered an Athearn light USRA Mike in the Frisco colors - the
4000's.
We'll see how that turns out.

I see the Bachmann 4-8-2 will be available as a NC&StL as well as a
MoP. I'm
sure I'll select one of those two roads if I get one of the Mountains.
You seem to be a Frisco fan. Why not detail one for SLSF nos. 1500-1529?
While they generally are not considered a USRA light 4-8-2 copy, I
believe they are similarly sized. You would need a new tender
(12-wheel), and probably should change the cab and some other details,
but I think it would work.

Jack