Small can motors

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

Does anyone know of a source of small can motors (20mm diameter or less)? I
heard that Sagami no longer produces these (or perhaps Sagami doesn't exist
anymore). I have a few small HO steam engines where I can fit nothing larger
than a 16mm motor.

Thanks!
Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

NWSL was supposed to be replacing the Sagami motors with a new line. I
don't know if that has happened or not. There is no listing on there web
page only email for their motor listings.
The "Ultrascale" site has some Buhler 3 pole (segment) motors at 14mm x
17mm. Personally I don't like 3 pole motors, but???? This is a UK site and
you would have to order them from there. Let me know if you are thinking
about an order as I wish to get some wheels and other items from them. You
might want to look.
http://www.ultrascale.co.uk/products.htm

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623

Leo Pesce <leo@...>

Hi Thomas,

the latest Key brass models use motors from a company called Maxon.

It is a Swiss company with a branch here in Burlingame. Here is their
link:

http://www.mpm.maxonmotor.com/

In the site you can search for different motor sizes; they have quite a
selection
of motors.

I had been checking about a motor that is put in the Key Mountain 4-8-2 SP
engine,
because the engine runs extremely slow (my research on it indicated the
motor
to be slow). I found out they do sell single units.

Hope this helps. If you do use their motors, let us know how you find them
as a company and as a product. (sounds I am affiliated to them, but I am
not:
just a possible user like all of us here in the list)

Cheers
Leo

From: Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@efi.com>

Does anyone know of a source of small can motors (20mm diameter or less)?
heard that Sagami no longer produces these (or perhaps Sagami doesn't
exist
anymore). I have a few small HO steam engines where I can fit nothing
larger
than a 16mm motor.

Thanks!
Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I have used many Maxon motors I have picked up on the surplus market.
New they are quite expensive. Also remember they are all coreless I
believe.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

Jon,

It will be interesting to see what NWSL comes up with. The Maxon motor line
looks good, but brushless motors are delicate beasts.

Regarding 3 pole motors, I have no problem with them as long as they work. I
think that 3-pole motors have a bad reputation because so many cheap motors
have 3-poles, but I sure that some 3 pole motors are just fine.

I looked at the Ultrascale site and it seems to me that the prices for their
drivers and motors are very reasonable (I'm assuming roughly 2 pounds to the
dollar). I'm having trouble however understanding the terminology. Can
anyone translate OO, E.M., and 18.83 gauges? Which one is HO?

Also, what is an indented axle? Does that mean it has a shoulder for the
bearing?

Thanks much!
Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

NWSL was supposed to be replacing the Sagami motors with a new line. I
don't know if that has happened or not. There is no listing on there web
page only email for their motor listings.
The "Ultrascale" site has some Buhler 3 pole (segment) motors at 14mm x
17mm. Personally I don't like 3 pole motors, but???? This is a UK site and
you would have to order them from there. Let me know if you are thinking
about an order as I wish to get some wheels and other items from them. You
might want to look.
http://www.ultrascale.co.uk/products.htm

Jon Miller
AT&SF