Roundhouse MDC Models

"Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@...

Does anybody know how accurate the SP steam engines are that MDC sell?

In particular:

0-6-0
4-6-0
2-8-0

The Walthers catalogue indicate they come lettered for the Espee, with vandy
tenders on the latter two.

Also, how easy are they to put together to run well?
--
Ashley Rachel Pollard
Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

Hi Ashley,

From what I know, they are as follows:

0-6-0 S-8
4-6-0 T-28
2-8-0 C-3

The 2-8-0 has drivers that are way too large (62" vs. 57"), but otherwise
they are good representations. I've built the 0-6-0 and 4-6-0 before MDC
made their latest round of improvements, and they run fine. Now with can
motors and nickel-plated wheels, I understand that they run even better.

As always, care in construction goes a long way to making a well running
loco. The advice that I here from many kit builders is to test the
free-rolling-ness of the drivers at every step (before the motor is in).
They should roll absolutely without a hitch when given a slight nudge on a
plate glass surface. Any hitches should be uncovered and dealt with before
completing the model.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,
Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

Does anybody know how accurate the SP steam engines are that MDC sell?

In particular:

0-6-0
4-6-0
2-8-0

The Walthers catalogue indicate they come lettered for the Espee, with vandy
tenders on the latter two.

Also, how easy are they to put together to run well?
--
Ashley Rachel Pollard
Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk

ONElist: where the world talks!
http://www.onelist.com
Join today.

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

David Coscia's page mention only the 0-6-0 and 2-8-0.

http://home.earthlink.net/~coscia/sp_models_ho.html

Cheers
Leo

From: "Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk>

Does anybody know how accurate the SP steam engines are that MDC sell?

In particular:

0-6-0
4-6-0
2-8-0
Ashley,
All are representations of SP types but are not accurate in many repsects.
The new 2-8-0 models with the can motor run well and overall these kits
though crude in many respects to detail are a good buy. I'm not sure if the
ten Wheeler and the 0-6-0 have the can motor also...check MDCs web page.
The 2-8-0 is based on the earlier Harriman types but have 63" diameter
drivers which are too big. The ten Wheeler is the same boiler as the 2-8-0
and is ok but I believe the drivers are too big again and wheelbase is
off(?)The 0-6-0 doesn't have the right valve gear but I think there is
still an upgrade available(?)
Best regards

Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, B.C. Canada

Elden Baker <eldenbaker@...>

Hi,

I built the 4-6-0 and it's one of my best running locos (including some
of the brass). Also, with very few modifications (I'd have to pull out
my build-notes to remember exactly what I did) its a dead ringer for
2346 T-28.

I agree with what Thomas said, check and re-check fit at every step.
Its much easier to "fix" things as you. If there is the slightest
imperfection during construction it will only get worst (not better)
when you start running it. One thing I do remember is that I had to
"clean out" the screw threads before the small machince screws would go
in as intended. Be careful as these small screws are VERY easy to
cross-thread or strip.

Have fun.
Elden

Does anybody know how accurate the SP steam engines
are that MDC sell?

In particular:

0-6-0
4-6-0
2-8-0

The Walthers catalogue indicate they come lettered
for the Espee, with vandy
tenders on the latter two.

Also, how easy are they to put together to run well?
--
Ashley Rachel Pollard
Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk

ONElist: where the world talks!
http://www.onelist.com
Join today.

Stefan <stefan@...>

There was a good article on kitbashing a MDC into a more accurate SP 2-8-0
C-3 in the April 1978 issue of MR.
Best regards

Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, B.C. Canada

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

Kemtron, a long time ago, offered a valve gear for the MDC 0-6-0,
The Kemtron line now is under the Precision Scale Co. and after
checking the 98 Walthers catalog, I found the kit.
#585-31528 Walschaerts, for MDC 0-6-0 $12.75
and
#585-31193 Modern Block (cylinders) w/ guides, for MDC 0-6-0 (5 pieces)
$12.25

Whether they are still in production or available, it is another question.

Cheers
Leo

From: "Stefan" <stefan@seaside.net>
<snip>

jje corporation <zephyr03@...>

From: "Stefan" <stefan@seaside.net>

From: "Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk>

Does anybody know how accurate the SP steam engines are that MDC sell?

In particular:

0-6-0
4-6-0
2-8-0
Ashley,
All are representations of SP types but are not accurate in many repsects.
The new 2-8-0 models with the can motor run well and overall these kits
though crude in many respects to detail are a good buy. I'm not sure if the
ten Wheeler and the 0-6-0 have the can motor also...check MDCs web page.
The 2-8-0 is based on the earlier Harriman types but have 63" diameter
drivers which are too big. The ten Wheeler is the same boiler as the 2-8-0
and is ok but I believe the drivers are too big again and wheelbase is
off(?)The 0-6-0 doesn't have the right valve gear but I think there is
still an upgrade available(?)
Ashley -

The MDC 0-6-0 has *no* valve gear - D-valve square steam chests.
Kemtron made a prototypical piston-valve replacement saddle with a
really exquisite valve gear . . . it may still be available from PSC.

As is, the MDC 0-6-0 makes a really good start for the Rock Island's
S-29, withinside piston valves - just a little plastic surgery . . . but
that won't help an SP fan much <giggle> . . .

Marshall

"Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@...

Thank you to everyone who replied. I will now go away and find out more
about the 0-6-0 S-8, 4-6-0 T-28, 2-8-0 C-3 prototypes.

I'm trying to model Santa Rosa circa the 1940s and want to feature the P&SR
interurban line. So I'm looking for models of SP/NWP steam appropriate for
the time. However, I'm not sure my modelling skills are up to building the
MDC models, but I might buy one after checking stuff out, and see how it
goes.
--
Ashley Rachel Pollard
Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk