Topics

Remotoring WSM articulateds.

SP4149

All,

  I've been thinking about creating a web page on upgrading a WSM ESPEE AC-4 4-8-8-2.  As delivered these models had the following 'faults'

  • Required large radius curves, greater than 36"
  • Had a large open frame motor with higher current draw
  • Had the longer AC-6 cab which was noticeable when parked next to newer AC-4s like the BLI AC-4s
  • Had a somewhat noisy drive train with flimsy bearing support and half a universal
  • When lifted off the track the articulated engine would disconnect from the drive train to the rigid engine.

The web page would show how I overcame all five issues.

If there is interest I will also show how this is the easiest WSM/KTM 4-8-8-2 to convert to double motors.

Would this be of interest to any on the list?

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com

HO and Sn42

George Galyon

I absolutely would like to see this web page created.. your web page is one of my favorites.   One question re the 36" radius requirement...Our club regularly runs Big Boys (Trix ) through 30" curves with no running problems at all.  I don't know if any of the drivers are blind but I can easily find out.  And I can measure the lateral "play" also.  I also run an Westside 4-4-6-4 thru the same 30" curves (I removed the cab-to-tender short failure mode) without any running problems although I do worry about excessive wear on the gear train.  But the 4-4-6-4 is a uni-frame whereas the big boys and the 4-8-8-2s  are articulated (aren't they?).

SP4149

George,

These large articulateds had one rigid frame engine directly attached to the boiler. and one articulated engine swinging under neath the boiler/smokebox.

Many low cost plastic/diecast models included the Broadway Limited and MTH SP Cab Forwards do not have a rigid frame engine, instead both sets of drivers

pivot under the boiler allowing these large articulateds to go around much tighter curves.

The WSM AC-4 had twin idler gearboxes with the motor shaft drivetrain up in the boiler.  The gearboxes were on the second axle of each engine.  The articulated

pivot point was at the end of the rigid frame engine.  Since the gearbox extended up into the shell, the swing of the articulated engine interferred with the shell.  By

moving the gearbox a scale 6 feet closer to the pivot point, a smaller turning radius was achieved (about 30" radius) on later WSM cab forwards.

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com

On 2019-09-19 11:09, George Galyon via Groups.Io wrote:

I absolutely would like to see this web page created.. your web page is one of my favorites.   One question re the 36" radius requirement...Our club regularly runs Big Boys (Trix ) through 30" curves with no running problems at all.  I don't know if any of the drivers are blind but I can easily find out.  And I can measure the lateral "play" also.  I also run an Westside 4-4-6-4 thru the same 30" curves (I removed the cab-to-tender short failure mode) without any running problems although I do worry about excessive wear on the gear train.  But the 4-4-6-4 is a uni-frame whereas the big boys and the 4-8-8-2s  are articulated (aren't they?).

HO and Sn42

John Hagen

Not only are they articulated but they are basically diesels dressed up to look like a steam engine. The rear engine, which is rigid in the prototype and on almost all brass and all Bowser Challengers and Big Boys. Starting with the AHM/Rivarossi articulateds, it seems all “modern” articulated models have rear engines swivel just like they do on a diesel, a set up that would be impossible on the prototypes. I’ve been told I am a throwback to the dark ages but I always believed that prototype is prototype and not prototype is, well, not per a true prototype. I do understand the reasoning behind all the foolbies out there but any reference to these models should clearly state what makes the model unworkable as a prototype. To those who claim it really isn’t that noticeable obviously never looked at one on a curve.

So far as your situation, while a Trix (Athearn, Rivarossi or whatever plastic articulated except Mantua’s 2-6-6-2) Big Boy will negotiate a 30” radius curve, if someone were to bring down his/her highly detailed (and very expensive) brass Big boy, he (or she) just may not be able to run it.

For what it’s worth.

John Hagen