Topics

Pilot truck centering idea

Kenneth Rickman

While wandering around my local hobby shop, I found myself staring at the Kadee product selection when an idea struck me. Could you use a #5 coupler box as both mount and centering device for a locomotive lead truck? I am imagining a two wheel truck having an end made in the shape to match the shank of a #5 coupler. A four wheel truck might have a second coupler box on the truck frame, with a double ended arm to fit in both boxes.

What do you think? Is it useful? I think that a centering device on a truck is rather handy, and might improve the operation through curves and turnouts. Is it practical? Looking at a few of my models, there seems to be room, but it would be tight.

--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC