NWP Steam & off topic comment

"Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@...

-----original message-----

From: Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@efi.com>
[snip]
Bachmann's 4-4-0, IHC's 4-4-0, and Mantua's
4-6-0 come to mind.
I assume this is the Mantua #337008 in the Walthers 99 catalogue?

Do you also mean the Bachmann American type 4-4-0? A late 1800s design.

From: "Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk>

jje corporation <zephyr03@...>

From: Leonello Pesce <leo@sco.COM>

Ashley,

Mantua offers one style 4-6-0, but by changing sand domes,
headlight, stack and a few minor accessories, they offer
different named engines. #337008 is one of them. Otherwise
it is the same engine, boiler, frame and tender.

The Bachmann 4-4-0 is a late 1800's engine. Not having the
'99 catalog, I cannot say, but the '98 shows they offer the
two engines from the Promontory celebration.
The Bachmann 4-4-0 is the design inheritor of the 1960's AHM model,
which was originally based (rather accurately for the period) on the
Virginia & Truckee's "Reno" (IIRC 1872) - the primary problems being
ludicrously undersized tender and pilot truck wheels, which was probably
an engineering compromise for snaptrak curves. There have been a number
of cosmetic re-dos of this engine, beginning with AHM's own issuance of
the Genoa with balloon stack and wood tender (The Inyo was presented
with straight capped stack and oil-burning tender). The boilers of
these V&T engines were rather large for the time, and are way out of
proportion for 10-year older engines as were used at the Golden Spike
ceremony - but then it *is* Botchmann <g>

Marshall