From: John H <sprinthag@...>
To: HOsteam@...
Sent: Tue, December 22, 2009 9:05:33 AM
Subject: [HOsteam] Re: Norfork & Western locos

--- In HOsteam@yahoogroups .com, Hman56@ wrote:

why add weight in the tender?
are the Proto's tenders powered?

In a message dated 12/21/2009 9:30:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
hogdriver_1999@ ... writes:
Yeah, cause adding weight over non-powered axles would seem to reduce the number of cars one would be able to pull upgrade. Maybe he wants better pull downgrade? But then I never took physics so....

And why want traction tires or (shudder) Snot? Why want an Y3 with less "low speed"?

I know I will get blasted for this, but then I am too old to really care anymore. This is what happens when scale modeling becomes "Lionel-ized" . No one wants to model anymore. They want to buy the stuff and put it on the rails and have it smoke and sound good. Well okay, maybe sound, if held at reasonable volume is sorta neat but did you ever see a steam engine smoke the way these toys do? Did you ever see a steam engine? Steam videos? Steam photos? If the toys would smoke like the prototype we would all die in our basements. Which would be okay since the track would be too dirty to run on not to mention the fire department would stop responding whenever some passer-by (neighbors would know better) noted huge clouds of thick, black smoke billowing out our windows like smoke from..., well, a steam engine! What if we would ever had an actual fire.

They want articulated steam locomotives suspended on diesel-style swiveling power trucks that would be impossible on the prototype so they can pull un-prototype loads at un-prototype speeds around un-prototype curves. And when the stuff wears out (or the owner gets bored) they toss them and buy something else. Maybe another train or an R/C car or put in a pool or.....

Welcome to toy railroading today.

John Hagen (Aka a grouchy, crabby, irritable and nasty old fart)

I have four Proto Heritage Y3 Mallets that the N&W used to use for pulling
coal drags which I do the same on my HO layout. I believe that they can be
had with sound for under $400 form just about anywhere.
They have excellent detail for resin cast models and are great pullers
with very nice low speed control. If you want added pulling power use Bull
Frog Snot on your drive wheels it's like adding traction tires to your
locomotive and works excellent. Even a few more Oz. of weight in the tender will
help out a great deal.

--- In _HOsteam@yahoogroup sHOst_ (mailto:HOsteam@yahoogroups .com) ,
"hman195611766" <Hman56@> wrote:

I'm looking for a company the does a Model in HO scale for the N&W.
DCC &U sound is a must, mid priced $250.00 to $400.00.
Looking for more pull and less low speed.

Bill Hodkinson