Topics

New member...Saying Hello and with request for information

Ken Robbins

Vic, Ken Rickman is abosultely correct. My 9" South Bend lathe can cut virtually any pitch screw (or worm) by changing the lead screw gearing to give the necessary longitudinal travel for each revolution of the spindle.

When I Grind a toolbit to match an existing worm I simply grind the sides and tip until the toolbit fits into a correct-size worm with little or no mismatch of the side angles. I usually make it a little narrower than finished size and then use my compound rest set parallel to the spindle to make small left and right passes until the correct profile is acheived.

Yes, it's a slow, tedious process but it works. I only do it when I have to!

Ken Robbins