New member...Saying Hello and with request for information

John Hagen

Tom,

Go to http://yardbirdtrains.com/

The website shows but a protion of what he has in stock. If what you need isn't shown there, email or phone Dan and he will likely have it. He is an Mautua parts dealer for a long time and has just about anything you could ask for on a post-war Mantua product.

He does sell on ebay but that is just one of his marketing methods. There is also a related yardbirdtrains Yahoo group

and an unrelated vintage HO group

both of which are great for anyone interested in vintage HO stuff.

John Hagen

--- In HOsteam@yahoogroups.com, "papasmurf" <papa.smurf5@...> wrote:

Have 50+ yr.-old Mantua HO 0-6-0T tank engine, badly in need of TLC. Was hoping someone here may know some sources for genuine parts, so loco can be restored to operating condition [OTHER THAN E-BAY, PLEASE!]. Even an old one for parts, which might help me to restore mine. TTFN & Keep Your Rails Shiny. .....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH

Ken Robbins

Tom, as Ken Clark has correctly pointed out, the addition of a modern can motor will often transform these 50-year-old models into sweet-running little powerhouses.

I own one of those Mantua 0-6-0 tank engines and have made quite a few modifications to it (see photos in "Ken Robbins Steam Engines" in the photo section). It is now one of the quietest, smoothest running engines I own.

Ken Robbins
Hancock, NH

allen wood

Ken,

Outstanding job on the Mantua 0-6-0T. I'm about 75% done on a similiar conversion. You mention "all wheel" pick up in one of the pictures, could you elaborate on what you did? Also, did you regear with NWSL products?

Allen Wood
Chico, Ca.

Ken Robbins

Allen, I have posted 3 more photos of my Mantua 0-6-0-T that show the underside. I feel putting pickup wipers on the backside of an engine's drivers is better than having them rub on the tread (too much dirt buildup), so I worked out this arrangement. The thin phosphor-bronze fingers exert very light pressure.

I have a lathe, so I replaced the Mantua Nylon worm with one made of brass but kept the original Nylon worm gear. I use LaBelle #102 on my gears. The loco is extremely quiet and has racked up more than 100 hours so far with no problems whatsoever, other than occasional cleaning of those (ugh!) brass tires.

Good luck with your conversion. Hope to see pictures someday!

Ken Robbins

allen wood

Ken,

Thanks for the pictures and info. Again, a very nice job.

Allen Wood
Chico, Ca.