Topics

My Camelback HO Locomotives.

toptrain2100

The first would be the Cast and Brass Mantua one of the late 1940's to early 1950's

toptrain2100

The next is a all brass 0-4-0 camelback made with early construction methods.  Most likely a International Model product release IMP
.

toptrain2100

Now another 0-4-0 camelback. This one is also by Mantua but of Plastic and Cast construction. Very much like those made recently.

toptrain2100

Edited

This one will finish the small types used on tight radius turns. The Mantua 0-6-0 camelback.

toptrain2100

Next is a scratch built 4-4-0 camelback. The body is scratch-built but the drive is a altered Rivarossi one. The tender is converted to coal from oil. It is a model of a Lehigh Valley 4-4-0 that was built at their South Easton shops. It is loco #5 named the "David Laury" It was one of the original locomotives used to pull the opening day run of the Black Diamond.

toptrain2100

*The next one is another scratchbuilt 4-4-0 camelback. This one is a Central Railroad of New Jersey #172 which is a loco rebuilt at the Ashley shops using the frame taken from a old Baldwin 4-4-0 #172 delivered in 6-1882, and is listed as being a locomotive rebuilt from 4-4-0 #172. This rebuild took place when the original Baldwin was 16 years old and was completed 6-1898. During this rebuild the only thing remaining from Baldwin 172 was it's frame and its cylinders, even its drivers were changed from 68" to 69". It went from a wagon top boiler to a Wooten boiler. In 1899 it was renumbered #545, In 1903 it was renumbered again to #567. Latter on it became class D4. IN 5-1909 it was rebuilt again this time at E-Port where its weight increased 4,600 lbs and its crosshead was changed from 4 guide to alligator. It was disassembled on 12-1925 at E-Port. On my road this last item never happened.

toptrain2100

As this thread is now I haven't posted another type of 0-4-0 camelback. This would  be a mainly white metal cast type with some brass details. Brass on this one is used for the fireman's shelter, smoke stack, sand dome, bell  fireman's platform and air tanks. There are two different types of tenders. The Ho Train Co, (GHC) used a all cast metal slope back tender. Another company maybe Aristo-Craft or IMP had a all brass camelback tender and a different type smoke stack.  I have a CHAMP train set that uses the 0-4-0 camelback with a funnel shaped smoke stack and the brass tender also. All of the 0-4-0 camelbacks I speak of here are made by the New One Toy Company of Japan.

toptrain2100

Edited

Now what will be next? I did my 4-4-0C types now for a 4-6-0C or two. I have 2 different ones. One is a Red Ball brass and the other a Aristo-Craft cast metal type.
The Red Ball 4-6-0C
 HO Train Co. 4-6-0C
 Mantua CNJ 4-6-0C

Tim Latham

I like these 4-4-0 Camelbacks!
--
Tim Latham
Brandon, MS

toptrain2100

Edited

Next camelback is a brass one from Precision Scale . It is a Central Railroad of New Jersey class 4-8-0 camelback. I got it boxed and unpainted, packaged as it was when new. My son stephen painted and lettered it for me.

toptrain2100

 Here is the Reading 2-8-0 a Akane model.

toptrain2100

Edited

The Central Railroad of New Jersey was always a big user of locomotives with wooten style fireboxes. Camelbacks were all over this road. The I4 class and I5 class were the most common in use during the steam era. These locomotives were not even available in brass. With 0-6-0 and 4-6-0 camelbacks the norm in brass. With only 2 brown books 1980 and 1994 I don't know everything missing 26 years of information. The way i got around the lack of I4 and I5 class available was to scratch build my own. Here are some photos.First the I4 class.

Now the i5 class.

toptrain2100

Edited

Now the Mantua larger Mikado camelback is next. It is a Lehigh Valley prototype and the LV is the only road to have them. LV calls them their N1 class. Here are 2 NIs mikados of the Lehigh Valley Railroad. my paint and lettering.

toptrain2100

Edited

Last of the Camelbacks I have that are complete and running is a pair of the Mantua Pacific Camelback's. The Mantua pacific camelback is a Lehigh Valley Prototype and LV is the only company to run them. They were the Lehigh Valley K1 class.
frank

                                     2303                                                           2004

toptrain2100

That is it. All the camelbacks that I have in running condition. Not running awaiting work is a brass Reading 4-4-2, A Mantua 2-8-2 camelback needing work, Some new one 0-4-0c locos I want to repower as 0-6-0's, A couple of model power Brazilian HO steamers to convert to camelbacks. Can't do any any now till my layout is up, detailed and running.
   Thanks for looking.
            frank

John Hagen

Frank.

I am enjoying your series on Camelback locos immensely. You have a good models eye.

Thank you so much for posting all the photos.

Looks like Mantua did a decent job of duplicating the LV prototype, not always Mantua’s strong point.

I love Mantua steamers as inexpensive, great runners, reliable as a 2X4 and looked, well, locomotive like.

They were what they were and could be put on the rails and run. For the more discriminating modeler they were easy and enjoyable to add detail to match a more specific prototype.

How far you went with it was totally up to you. They were a part of “Model railroading is fun.”

John Hagen