Topics

Mini-Lathe For Work on Brass/Diecast Loco Frames and Parts

Ed

Hi All --

In order to re-power a couple of old diecast locomotives, I need to change the geared axle from the rearmost to the front or maybe middle driver axle.

That would involve opening up a slot for a gearbox in a new position as seen in the image below. So, my question is... does anyone think this hobbyist  multi tool would be able to do the job cleanly and accurately enough?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-in-1-Mini-Wood-Lathe-for-Metal-Grinding-Woodworking-Hobby-DIY-Tool-AC-100-240V-/352111927072

I don't suppose

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Ed

Victor Bitleris

It looks like it is plastic and it calls itself a wood turning lathe.  Yes, it says metal grinding, which probably means you can put a grinding wheel or grinding tool (like Dremel) and grind metal to sharpen chisels and drill bits.  But I doubt it would hold up much for metal milling.  You would be better off with a Harbor Freight table top drill press for milling.  Yes, drill presses aren't made for milling, but should be fine for the kind of work we do.
Just my 2 cents.  I also have a Taig and the milling attachment, but that doesn't mean it is an easy job, you still have to use the file to finish it off.

Vic Bitleris Raleigh, NC

In order to re-power a couple of old diecast locomotives, I need to change the geared axle from the rearmost to the front or maybe middle driver axle.

That would involve opening up a slot for a gearbox in a new position as seen in the image below. So, my question is... does anyone think this hobbyist  multi tool would be able to do the job cleanly and accurately enough?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-in-1-Mini-Wood-Lathe-for-Metal-Grinding-Woodworking-Hobby-DIY-Tool-AC-100-240V-/352111927072

I don't suppose

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Ed

prgm_mgr

For what it's worth I used a milling bit in my drill press without any problems. Just go slow and don't try to hog off too much material at a time.

The lathe picture seems to have the grinding part on the end, maybe for grinding lathe tool bits. Doesn't seem designed for milli work.

Mark