LL P2K 2-8-8-2

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Here is a good one for the steam list to throw around for awhile, off of
r.m.r. It been slow here!

Rumor has it that while the initial run was done by Roco, subsequent
engines may be coming from China. If this is true, then the limited edition
first run will
be unique, and possibly more valuable.<<

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Leo Pesce <leo@...>

Wait,

are we buying this stuff for collecting or for running.

Look what happened to the brass, now that we start getting something
that is again affordable, it is snatched away from us operators?

On the other hand, thanks for the tip, I will be waiting for the one from
China, will cost less.

Cheers
Leo

From: "Jon Miller" <atsf@inow.com>

Here is a good one for the steam list to throw around for awhile, off of
r.m.r. It been slow here!

Rumor has it that while the initial run was done by Roco, subsequent
engines may be coming from China. If this is true, then the limited
edition
first run will
be unique, and possibly more valuable.<<

Jon Miller

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

I would have to wonder about the reason for this. I can't see any benefit
for LifeLike subcontracting Roco for the initial run, unless Roco has some
expertise that the Chinese subcontractors don't have, which I think is
unlikely. (my $0.02 ;-)

Any ETA on the 2-8-8-2?

By the way, do LifeLike and Bachmann subcontract to the same factory(s) in
China, or do they have captive lines? Just curious.

Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

Rumor has it that while the initial run was done by Roco, subsequent
engines may be coming from China. If this is true, then the limited edition
first run will
be unique, and possibly more valuable.<<

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Another rumor has it (and this one may be more accurate) that the 0-8-0
was started (in China) before the 2-8-8-2, but the 2-8-8-2 was finished
first. It just may be China does not have the knowledge yet to do a steamer
and that first one took them a long time. Kind of like them learning how to
do brass. Somehow that doesn't make sense to me because I think the
Bachmann engines are done in China, right?

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Walt Gay <waltrail@...>

I don't think so. Roco is a new vendor for LL. The next run should be larger,
but still from Roco.

Walt

From: "Jon Miller" <atsf@inow.com>

Here is a good one for the steam list to throw around for awhile, off of
r.m.r. It been slow here!

Rumor has it that while the initial run was done by Roco, subsequent
engines may be coming from China. If this is true, then the limited edition
first run will
be unique, and possibly more valuable.<<

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Keeping the memory of steam alive!

Walt Gay <waltrail@...>

LL owns the factory and subs for Bachmann, Atlas and others.

From: Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@efi.com>

I would have to wonder about the reason for this. I can't see any benefit
for LifeLike subcontracting Roco for the initial run, unless Roco has some
expertise that the Chinese subcontractors don't have, which I think is
unlikely. (my $0.02 ;-)

Any ETA on the 2-8-8-2?

By the way, do LifeLike and Bachmann subcontract to the same factory(s) in
China, or do they have captive lines? Just curious.

Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

Rumor has it that while the initial run was done by Roco, subsequent
engines may be coming from China. If this is true, then the limited edition
first run will
be unique, and possibly more valuable.<<

Keeping the memory of steam alive!

f-v-h@...

Bachman IS a Chinese company. Have been since before the Spectrum
stuff started showing up. I suspect lhat LL may have similar (if not
the same) ownership.

FH