Kadee old time couplers

"Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@...

I've been informed that the standard Kadees are too large, but that the old
time #711 are closer to scale. So I bought a packet to try them out. Umhh...
has anyone got any hints.

What do they mean when they say short trains? The couplers are made of
plastic.

Can you put them in a standard coupler box? The instructions seem to suggest
not, as they appear to be very much like the #4 shank.

BTW my trains will be no longer than 15 cars, if that.
--
Ashley Rachel Pollard
Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk

Elden Baker <eldenbaker@...>

--- Ashley Rachel Pollard <Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk> wrote:

I've been informed that the standard Kadees are too
large, but that the old
time #711 are closer to scale.
No doubt about it, the standard Kadees are too large for scale
appearance.

What do they mean when they say short trains? The
couplers are made of
plastic.
I've have not used the #711 couplers but, I do know that because they
are a type of plastic, you stand a change of pulling the knuckle if you
run a long train. I should think they'll handle 15 cars with no
problem. The main issue would be with grade and radius limits more than
purely length of train. They'll pull a very LONG train on straight and
level track but, once you start to climb a grade or, more important,
transverse through a tight radius curve - the stress on the knuckle
will increase tremendously.

I hope this helps... btw, I've heard of folks using the HOn3 couplers
for a closer to scale appearance

Talk to you later,
Elden

f-v-h@...

The Kadee #711 IS thier HOn3 coupeler, but with a different trip-pin.
Another alternative is a dummy. There are a couple of nice ones
available, and you'll save a TON on magnets. I think most of us are
willing to overlook thier being a little big in view of thier
reliability. There has to be something, or we wouldn't hve all the
clones.

jje corporation <zephyr03@...>

From: Elden Baker <eldenbaker@yahoo.com>

[...]

As I understand it, Elden, the 714 *is* the HOn3 coupler, with longer
trip pins (no other changes). Your biggest problem (and the reason it
was marketed as an 'old-timer') is the gathering range. 34' cars, OK.
40' cars, watch it on tight curves . . . 50' cars, relatively common
failures (up from there, you don't wanna know!)

Marshall

Elden Baker <eldenbaker@...>

I hope this helps... btw, I've heard of folks
using the HOn3 couplers
for a closer to scale appearance
As I understand it, Elden, the 714 *is* the HOn3
coupler
Yea, I meant to say that I've heard of OTHER folks ALSO using the HOn3
for scale appearane. I've never tried them - I started using the
standard Kadee (#5 mostly) many years ago and I'd have to take out a
bank loan to convert everything now...