Introduction and first question

Ken Clark

In a message dated 2/21/00 2:38:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
martin.fischer@inka.de writes:

<< Could anybody here point me to information on the Web ( or elsewhere
) on backhead details for a ( small ) steam engine ? >>
Martin,
A good start would be to find a current Precision Scale Company (PSC)
catalog for HO Parts and Locomotives. In the past they had a cab interior
set for small steam (0-4-0 to 2-8-0s) part # 3714. However the C-16 cab kit
(HOn3) # 3702 is for possibly a smaller engine. You did not specify if the
engine was wood, coal or oil burning, the details will vary some according to
fuel used. PSC also did a kit for an HOn3 0-6-0 which was very,very small
coal burner. I don't know about current availability of these parts
(formerly kits were $30-$40) but I would check the caboose hobbies in denver
website, e-mail them, they have a PSC part inventory in many ways better
than the company. Note the new Walthers catalogs do not attempt to list all
the PSC parts, that's why the catalog is so useful.

good luck, ken

Martin Fischer <martin.fischer@...>

Hi,

first let me introduce myself. My name is Martin Fischer, I live in
Germany and am modeling narrow gauge in HOn3 / HOn30. My main
interest currently is building motive power.

This leads to my qestion: I'm currently working on a small 0-4-0
steam switcher and would like to add some interior cab detailing.
Could anybody here point me to information on the Web ( or elsewhere
) on backhead details for a ( small ) steam engine ?

Regards,
Martin

martin.fischer@...

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 kenrclark@aol.com wrote:
From: kenrclark@aol.com

[...]

Ken,

thanks for the pointer. I will do as you suggested and contact
Caboose Hobbies.

BTW the engine is oil burning. This leads to another question. Where
would they put the oil tank on a tank engine ? I suppose inside the
cab, right ? Would it be a rectangular box on one side of the cab or
what ? Where would the the filling hatch be ? I forgot to mention that
the engine is a small Davenport 0-4-0 switcher.

--
Gr��e / Regards

Martin

Ken Clark

In a message dated 2/21/00 9:08:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
martin.fischer@inka.de writes:

<< TW the engine is oil burning. This leads to another question. Where
would they put the oil tank on a tank engine ? I suppose inside the
cab, right ? Would it be a rectangular box on one side of the cab or
what ? Where would the the filling hatch be ? I forgot to mention that
the engine is a small Davenport 0-4-0 switcher.

The usual fuel bunker was at the back of the cab; water tanks were generally
put on top of the boiler on tank engines. For the amount of water carried,
there was not much fuel needed to be carried between pit stops. Some of the
saddle tank 2-6-6-2T logging engines only had a small rear porch for a fuel
bunker, and they were comparatively large tank engines.

ken