Topics

[HOsteam] Was the First Train you bought HO?

Kenneth Rickman

The first train items I bought with my own money were cars and track for my Lionel O27 set.  I would collect cans along the road and turn them in to earn money to buy an Amtrak ticket from Picayune, MS to Laurel, MS, where we would walk to a hobby shop in town, shop and drool, and eventually catch the train back home.  Some years later I purchased my first HO train set, an IHC set with an SD40 and a few cars, while visiting my grandmother in Joplin, MO.  After that, I would take the train to Laurel to buy HO scale stuff, though I have to say it never had the same magic the O27 stuff did.  Over the years, I discovered different scales and especially narrow gauge, but I'm still primarily modeling standard gauge HO.

Ken Rickman

On 12/27/2013 2:54 PM, Kenneth Clark wrote:
But when you brought your hard saved money to the hobby shop to BUY your first train, was it HO?
--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC

One thing about trains: It doesn't matter where they're going.  What matters is deciding to get on.

George William \(Bill\) Newport <gwnewport2@...>

whew,
first train,
027 Lionel three rail,
lay a piece of plywood across the rafters in the attic,
put down track,
add switches,
inner and outer loop,
two steam locomotives,
one die-sel electric,
a couple dozen cars,
caboose has inside light,
more plywood,
more track,
bigger train transformer,
the street lights will dim when I move both reostat controls open,
bank the curves,
just call me Mister Casey sir

Life consists of:
What you want.
What you need.
What you deserve.
What you end up with.
What you do with what you get.
In Ghod We Trust.

On Friday, December 27, 2013 6:17 PM, Kenneth Rickman wrote:

[...]

morey200152

I had a Lionel set, gotten as a Xmas present when I was 8 (an uncatalogued Sears set with a 614 Alaska switcher with 'cold war' Pyro trucks on flats and a missle launcher and exploding box car and a generic LIonel lines caboose), but several years later I decided to make the move to HO and plotted my course of action.  I saved some money, ten dollars maybe??  (took some doing and a bit of time with needing fixes of candy and comics and MR magazines)  and finally ordered some bits from AHC in NYC from one of their monthly ads in MR.....a $3.99 Athearn HiFi diesel (I picked ATSF passenger warbonnet) think other choices were Pennsy or CBQ?  and several $ .99 freight cars, you could only pick car type, think ended up with Varney EJE gondola, Varney OB box car, an Athearn 40' flat, and a Marx NYC work caboose (a bit disappointed with that one)and maybe one or two more for my ten dollar or so investment ....however it took several months to get one of my older sisters to take me into the 'city' to a hobby shop to buy a box of 18" radius snap track and a MRC power pack, and then getting my dad to make an under the bed train table....

been in business ever since, one way or another

Chris Morey