Topics

[HOsteam] The added value of "Project" or "Does Not Run" models.

Victor Bitleris

Hi Ken,
Ken said:Obviously we have we done sucha good job with repowering advice that modelers are willing to pay extra for achallenge... :)
I doubt that Ken,
If anyone can figure out how the logic works for people bidding on eBay, that would be amazing. There are people out there dumber than rocks that will bid on something way past the retail price for items that are CURRENTLY available in stores or Walthers or elsewhere on line. Most likely the shipping will be the same, so they aren't saving anything there. In some cases, they just get caught up in the bidding and are probably embarrassed when they win. In other cases, they just haven't done their homework or do not care about the price. Just recently, I saw an Ambroid Vinegar car go for over $64.00. Gosh, I wonder if I can sell a couple of mine for that price?I suspect that the "project" brass are going to folks that "THINK" they are getting a bargain, because it says "project". In which case, the good running ones are a much better deal. I wonder if I can sell my "project" brass 0-6-0 for a good price? Unfortunately, it does run ok and just needs couplers and a tender beam/footboards to mount the coupler on. That is why it is a project.Don't worry Ken, as long as you still are available to do the work, I suspect a LOT of these "project" brass locos will find their way to your shop.Good luck and regards,
Vic Bitleris
Raleigh, NC

To: repowerandregear@...; HOsteam@...
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:34:34 -0400
Subject: [HOsteam] The added value of "Project" or "Does Not Run" models.

All,

I have been buying and selling on eBay for 15 years and before that for almost 20 years at train shows and mail order MR ads. Recently I have noticed a trend

that just seems odd. Brass locomotive models that do not run (as stated in the ad) are selling for more than identical models that are stated to be excellent runners.

For years a substantial part of my hobby business income has been taking "project" models and restoring them to excellent models and fine runners. Obviously,

if the project model costs more to buy than it will sell for after I restore it, I will not be in business much longer.

I've seen this before with eBay where poor out of focus photos enhance the value of the item; compared to the selling price of an identical item with excellent photos in the ad.

Many years ago I fell victim, to this phenomenon; I bought a HOn3 4-6-0 in an eBay auction with poor pictures. How poor were the pictures? When I got the model I found that

it was actually a 2-6-0; and the air tanks under the running board were actually wheel weights glued to the top of the running board as boiler weights.

With decent photos I never would have bid on the model.

Oh, and it didn't run either.

So why the added value of "project', non-running models? I lay the responsibility to the success of the repower and regear forum.

Obviously we have we done sucha good job with repowering advice that modelers are willing to pay extra for achallenge... :)

Kenneth R. Clark

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]