Topics

[HOsteam] Steam Oil Bunker

Kenneth Rickman

Ian,

I would suggest building a very simple styrene box that just fills the coal bunker in the tender. You could either leave it level with the top of the bunker sides, or raise it a scale foot or so above. A lot of oil bunkers were welded steel, so there would be no rivets or joints to worry about. Add a hatch to the top, and maybe a vent of some sort, paint it black, and call it done.

Ken

On 9/6/2011 8:07 PM, northlander30 wrote:
Hello all I am new here though I imagine there are quite a few here from other groups I belong to. I am in search of Oil Bunker dimensions. I am working on my 3 Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Conny's that I have had for a few years now.
--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC

Roger T

I would suggest building a very simple styrene box that just fills the
coal bunker in the tender. You could either leave it level with the top
of the bunker sides, or raise it a scale foot or so above. A lot of oil
bunkers were welded steel, so there would be no rivets or joints to
worry about. Add a hatch to the top, and maybe a vent of some sort,
paint it black, and call it done.
Exactly. That's how most oil tanks were built anyway. Almost custom built to fit into the coal space.

Cheers
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -

http://www.greateasternrailway.com

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rogertra/Great_Eastern/

Ian Campbell <injcustomtrains@...>

Thanks for your input guys. That's basically what I was about to do anyway. Now about the hatch and the vent. I am not sure what they look like as I have never seen the top of one. Are there any pictures to be found of these Bunkers?

Ian Campbell
InJ Custom Trains (painting and detailing n and ho scale)
Oshawa,Ontario
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000742383529