From: macklinbob@... [HOsteam]
To: HOsteam
Sent: Thu, Mar 26, 2015 11:21 pm
Subject: [HOsteam] Starting Over!

When I moved to Seattle, 15 years ago I sold all my HO train stuff on eBay.

I am 80 now and have walking problems so I decided to try working on trains again.

What I did previouly was to build Roundhouse Old Timers in the image of Narrow Gauge. These are the 36ft trussrod cars and old time steam locomotives.

I wss surprised to find out that Roundhous was long gone but eBay has been my friend. There seems to be a good good supply ot Roundhouse items on eBay. But you need to be ready to repair some of them.

I grew up with the Southern Pacific in the San Francisco area. The Western Pacific was the other railroad. These were in the days of STEAM!

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa..

Bob Macklin <macklinbob@...>

Hi Kenneth,

I did find out that Athern now owns Roundhouse but they appear to not be producing any Roundhouse products.

I live in a SMALL retirement closet so I am going to be limited to a small switching module.

When I moved to Seattle 15 years ago I sold my 40 year accumulation of HO stuff. 1700 items for $25K over a 5 year period. Now I wish I had some of it.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa.

  A lot of people start over in the hobby, by changing gauge and/or scale, and never leave the hobby.  Since you left there has been renewed interest in On30, O narrow gauge on HO track.
Some very nice models have been produced as On3/On30  models with interchangeable wheelsets.  The biggest change is the overwhelming sift from kits to factory completed, ready to run
models.  Model Die Casting (Roundhouse) is part of Athearn now.  Check the Athearn website (http://www.athearn.com/) for Roundhouse items.

Welcome

Kenneth R. Clark

Bob Macklin <macklinbob@...>

So far I am doing OK with the stuff I can get off eBay.

I'm going to do a 2'X4' switching layout for now. I like doing the scenery.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

The old Roundhouse items that Athearns is making are all ready to run.  No more kits.
You could make a layout that folds up out of the way or that slides under a bed.
Small switching layouts are fun too and you can spend more time detailing them.
Bob D.

Larry Blanchard

On 03/27/2015 02:59 PM, Bob Macklin macklinbob@... [HOsteam] wrote:
I'm going to do a 2'X4' switching layout for now. I like doing the scenery.
Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa
Bob, are you familiar with the Yahoo "small-layout-design" group? Might be a good place to visit if not. Also, have you checked this out:

http://www.carendt.com/

--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014

Bob Macklin <macklinbob@...>

Larry,

Where is the Yahoo "small-layout-design" group?

Thanks,
Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

> I'm going to do a 2'X4' switching layout for now. I like doing the
> scenery.
> Bob Macklin
> Seattle, Wa

Bob, are you familiar with the Yahoo "small-layout-design" group? Might
be a good place to visit if not. Also, have you checked this out:

http://www.carendt.com/

--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014

Posted by: Larry Blanchard

Larry Blanchard

On 03/27/2015 05:54 PM, Bob Macklin macklinbob@... [HOsteam] wrote:

Larry,
Where is the Yahoo "small-layout-design" group?

Over 5000 members at last count.

Join the group and check out the files section. Lots of layout designs.

One hint. The web interface is, IMHO, not very good. When you sign up, set your preferences to receive individual emails. You can post the same way. Then you only need toe web interface to look at the files and photos and to occasionally remind Yahoo that you're still alive.

--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014