Topics

[HOsteam] side/main rod color

mwbauers

How about washing the brass side-rods with ordinary solder via a regular soldering gun ???

DIY plating.

Mike Bauers

On Feb 2, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Alan wrote:

I'm building a boyd models GB&W mogul and have replaced main rods with PSC brass ones,loco kit came with blackened side rods and nickel silver main,crossheads and guides and valve gear,my dilemna is what color should I paint these items since they no longer match.
Alan

albyrno

Mike,
 Thats a good idea I'd have never thought of.By using a low temp solder and flux so it would flow thinly over brass so as to preserve detailed main rods that could work.the siderods look to be chemically blackened(by previous owner?),the rest of valve gear and crossheads are silver,I was thinking it would be easier to get uniform color with paint.This is a kit I got that had been started and abandoned early on in construction,the person who started assembly didn't have frame squared,I believe they were trying to overcome out of quarter drivers by twisting frame,being unable to get the drivers to turn gave up,by squaring frame,quartering drivers, had to do this anyhow to install axle drive gear for nwsl gearbox,I have a very smooth mechanism,being an american model made in britain the capscrews and nuts are wentworth or something other than inch or metric a further discouragement,which equaled a free complete kit for me less some valve gear rivets,the
crosshead guides were bent and I replaced with identical looking ones from an old mantua loco I had in parts box with new detailed main rods.I am hoping to keep the detailed crossheads that came with kit but they need some modifications to use with new guides which is where I'm temporarily halted.
 Alan

Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [HOsteam] side/main rod color

How about washing the brass side-rods with ordinary solder via a regular soldering gun ???

DIY plating.

Mike Bauers
On Feb 2, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Alan wrote:

I'm building a boyd models GB&W mogul and have replaced main rods with PSC brass ones,loco kit came with blackened side rods and nickel silver main,crossheads and guides and valve gear,my dilemna is what color should I paint these items since they no longer match.
Alan

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]