Topics

[HOsteam] Re: traction wheels

Kenneth Rickman

On 7/3/2011 8:25 AM, nativetexan wrote:
I'm looking to purchase
tracti on wheels for a Life Like 2-8-8-2. I know some people would not have them on their pike, so those that have them laying in the box I will pay $20 for them!� Please contact me off list. Jim Revenaugh ( twojars@... ) 810 338 0118
Jim, if those tires are for traction only, get a bottle of Bullfrog Snot. It DOES work, and great too. I had some reservations about it but ordered some recently as my SP brass Mogul (old brass) wouldn't pull hardly anything up a 2% grade. It more than doubled the pulling power. I'm sold on it. The small bottle is not real cheap but will last a lifetime.
I suspect Jim may have hit upon the idea of using (with or without modification) spare wheels that other people would not want. I wish I'd thought of it myself, as it would be a great way of getting 57" drivers that are otherwise hard to find.

Jim, if you find a vast untapped resource, please feel free to share! I could use a few myself.

Ken Rickman

--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC

albyrno

I have a mallet that without traction tires,driver wheels not driver sets had been replaced would only pull a few cars up a 2% grade w/o driver slippage (no wonder it was cheap),I reinstalled the 2 wheels on axles(one on each truck)with the traction tired ones as a last resort and now it doesn't slip drivers with an 18 car train.Although I don't like traction tires I had no choice.
                Alan
To: HOsteam@...
Sent: Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: [HOsteam] Re: traction wheels

On 7/3/2011 8:25 AM, nativetexan wrote:
I'm looking to purchase
tracti on wheels for a Life Like 2-8-8-2. I know some people would not have them on their pike, so those that have them laying in the box I will pay $20 for them! Please contact me off list. Jim Revenaugh ( twojars@... ) 810 338 0118
Jim, if those tires are for traction only, get a bottle of Bullfrog Snot. It DOES work, and great too. I had some reservations about it but ordered some recently as my SP brass Mogul (old brass) wouldn't pull hardly anything up a 2% grade. It more than doubled the pulling power. I'm sold on it. The small bottle is not real cheap but will last a lifetime.
I suspect Jim may have hit upon the idea of using (with or without
modification) spare wheels that other people would not want. I wish I'd
thought of it myself, as it would be a great way of getting 57" drivers
that are otherwise hard to find.

Jim, if you find a vast untapped resource, please feel free to share! I
could use a few myself.

Ken Rickman

--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC