From: @SP4149 <@SP4149>
Subject: [HOsteam] Re: New member introduction, and questions - 57" drivers
To: HOsteam@...
Date: Thursday, April 7, 2011, 9:00 AM

Ken,
  Inexpensive is in the eye of the beholder.
Frequently on eBay there
will be some older brass models sold for parts at
reasonable prices
(for Brass).  Yesterday a United/PFM UP 2-8-0 sold for
under $90,
it was missing the original box and motor.  These
Harriman 2-8-0s
had nominal 57" drivers and a short driver wheelbase.
The tender could
be re-sold for $40-50 so the parts cost would be only
$40-50 for a very rugged
mechanism with cylinders, rods, frame, pilot.  The
boiler superstructure
could be used for parts or re-sold for another
$20-30.  PFM imported thousands
of 56/57" drivered 2-8-0s (UP and the even more common
Santa Fe);
this abundance means that frequently one of these models is
available for a very
reasonable price.  I find that it is easier to modify
and rebuild brass models than
plastic and die-cast ones; but then I did force myself to
learn how to solder...

San Diego, CA 92112

Hi folks,

I'm a new member of the list, but hardly new to HO
modeling. I joined
because I have a deep and abiding love of all things steam
and would
like to share that with others of like mind. I'm also a bit
of a rivet
counter, and a bit frugal, which lead to kitbashing and
scratch building
as the only viable options.

My interests at the moment are primarily Southern Ry., and
in particular
a semi-autonomous subsidiary, the Danville & Western.
My layout is
based on the D&W, ca. 1940, and will rely on small
4-6-0's and 2-8-0's
for power. A few Southern 2-8-0's will likely show up as
well, from
time to time. In addition, I have a number of larger
Southern models on
the bench, which will probably end up being built and
sold.

I've added a folder in the photo section, entitled "Ken's
Creations",
showing off my latest and most successful projects. One
started out
life as a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, and was heavily
kitbashed into a
Southern Ry. Ks-3 (a bit of a rare bird, but the best fit
on the
Southern roster for the Spectrum model). The other is an
almost
entirely scratch built Southern Ry. Ks. The only commercial
parts are
the tender trucks, an IHC 2-8-0 chassis and drivers
(modified) and a few
detail castings.

Now for the questions. Many of Southern's consolidations
had 57"
drivers. The D&W's ten wheelers also had 57" drivers.
Unfortunately,
HO scale 57" drivers are scarce, and what few are out there
are either
expensive (Greenway, Alan Gibson) or in expensive models
(USRA 2-8-8-2,
2-10-2), and they have the wrong counterweights (except for
the AG
wheels). I have found that the old Bachmann 4-4-0 (the toy
train
version, before the new release) has nice 57" drivers with
no
counterweights, and can be adapted for a scratchbuilt
chassis nicely.
So, first off, does anybody know of an inexpensive source
of those
drivers? Most of the engines on e-bay are going for $20-30
with
shipping, which is more than I'm willing to spend on a
couple drivers.
Second, does anybody know of another reasonably priced
source for decent
57" drivers? Bowser used to have some, but they're not the
prettiest
things on the planet, and I'm not sure if they really are
57".

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to being a member of this
list,
Kenneth Rickman
--
Kenneth Rickman - krickman1@...
Salisbury, NC

    HOsteam-fullfeatured@...

Ken Clark

Ray,
I always though that these Mikes were supposed to have 63" drivers, but I just 'miked' mine and they are 61.5", with the oversize flanges they probably look like 63" drivers. I guess it depends on how old, as my oldest I assembled from a kit around 1960.

San Diego, CA 92112

The old Mantua Mikados have 57" drivers.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL