[HOsteam] Re: Flat can with a long shaft.

Ken Clark

Pete,

Keep me posted on the results. I would expect stronger magnets would increase torque and reduce current draw and possibly increase top end speed. It should operate at lower voltages with more torque so low end performance should see a big boost. I prefer a flywheel for smoother low end performance, especially on dirty track. The big improvement seen due to reduced current draw is the pickup wheels stay cleaner longer. On some of my models the lights draw more current than the motor.

From: locoi1sa <locoi1sa@comcast.net>
To: HOsteam <HOsteam@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Feb 7, 2012 5:54 pm
Subject: [HOsteam] Re: Flat can with a long shaft.

Ken.
I like the way you think. Outside the box would work. If the new magnets do not work then a gearbox and can motor is going in this even if I have to make a new frame. I have been told that the new magnets should make the motor a lot more powerful and slow it down too. The old magnet is 5/8 inch square with a slot for the screw. It is so weak that it will not attract to a screw driver. Once it gets touched it will pick it up but easily removed. The brushes and commutator are clean and dry. This thing has been sitting for over 53 years. I will keep you posted on what happens with the motor after I get the new magnets.
Pete