Topics

[HOsteam] Pilot truck centering idea

Roger T

What do you think? Is it useful? I think that a centering device on a
truck is rather handy, and might improve the operation through curves
and turnouts. Is it practical? Looking at a few of my models, there
seems to be room, but it would be tight.
First thing I do on all steam locomotives is to remove all springs etc. designed to keep the truck(s) on the track.

With decently laid track, trucks don't need any springs. Besides, simple physics states that for every action, there's and equal and opposite reaction. So, for the amount the spring(s) push down, they also push upwards, taking a little of the loco's weight from the drivers. Removing springs results in trucks still tracking well and the loco being able to pull a couple of more freight cars.

So, no! I don't think it would be useful. Quite the opposite in fact. :-)

Cheers
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -

http://www.greateasternrailway.com

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rogertra/Great_Eastern/