Topics

[HOsteam] no responses

mwbauers

On Mar 4, 2011, at 9:17 AM, James Revenaugh wrote:

Hello group, I posted a msg couple weeks ago about an offer to purchase traction wheels for Life Like 2-8-8-2s I can't believe that I have had no responses nor have a seen a post of any kind from anyone in this group. Jim R
I'm thinking that's because only those that know where to get those, would post.

Perhaps you need to get generic, commercial parts for this? Both flat and round 'O' rings and seals can be bought in every possible size and profile.

I don't have the engine you need the part for....... But can find the right tires for them.

So can you accurately measure what you have? Round or flat, how wide, if not round how thick, what's the exact diameter of the recess in the wheel that the traction tire nests in?

I have exact measuring tools to find those answers. Do you have a dial or electronic caliper? You can buy general use ones that are quite accurate for about $15, and they are handy to use from time to time for a modeler.

Here are a few examples........

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-dial-caliper-66541.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-composite-digital-caliper-93293.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-digital-caliper-47256.html

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

Michael Greene

James,
Call Walthers Customer Service, or try here (I'm sure many other LHS's
perhaps one near you also carry these or will order them for you if
you don't wish to deal direct), or try Bull Frog Snot (one size fits
all). I have used both...the Bullfrog snot works well, but requires a
"delicate touch" for proper application.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Michael

Michael Greene
Boalsburg, PA
prrk4@...

James Revenaugh

Hello Mike, Walthers doesn't have them & doesn't make these Proto 2000 Heritage series 2-8-8-2 any more. When they bought Life Like they cut theĀ TTs & the large 6wheel truck tender tacking on h small 4 wheel truck tender without the dog house. I've not had much luck with BFS, gets cought up in break rigging & causes de-rails. You have to take the wheel totally off & I have nothing to spin it on while trying to apply BFS with a toothpick. I know there are hundreds of these traction wheels out there from Life Like just laying in the box the loco came in because many guys just do not like traction wheels. Thanks for the response anyway. If you do know someone I would be willing to pay $25 for a set! Happy railroading Jim R (Great Union Northern & Iron Range) circa 1941