[HOsteam] Got a mystery here.

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Mike,
According to Worley it was built by Baldwin in 1924. It reason for
existence was to switch underground tracks in Dallas. It was scrapped in
1948.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tom Knowles <ncstl@...>

I have a Porter Locomotive Works catalog that shows a fireless cooker as a
stock item, ugly ugly ugly. But beauty is certainly in the eye of the
beholder. When I lived in Indianapolis in another lifetime, The Indianapolis
Power and Light plant downtown had an 0-4-0 "storage" locomotive they kept
in service to shove the occasional cut of 4 hoppers of coal in and out of
the plant. I think it was a Porter, but not like the one in the catalog. I
even have some pictures and recordings of it made in the '70's. I think they
used it on up to the late '80s! No flue time to expire, or stay-bolts to
crack/burn off. The pressure vessel just needed some periodic cleaning and
inspection, and it kept on chuggin'. The interesting thing was the lack of
"chug" sounds under load. Being saturated steam and no
smokebox/boiler/firebox to resonate the sound it was just a light "chip"
sound under load. The siderods made more noise than the exhaust. I think it
was preserved when retired--YEA!.

Tom Knowles
website: http://members.tripod.com/tomknowles/index.htm