[HOsteam] Future of the "plastic" steam models.

Chris Shinn <cnshinn@...>

I would say that LifeLike and Bachmann will probably stick to more
"generic" loco's, at least for a couple more years as interest in steam
picks up again. They will probably keep bringing out USRA models,
or like the Spectrum Decapod soon to be released, loco's that saw
heavy use but haven't been made available except in brass.

Bachmann's Shay is hopefully a prelude of a Climax next year (ohhhh
plllleeeeasssseeee, please make one!). I would say a Pacific, Mogul,
and 10 wheelers are likely in the next few years. For larger loco's I
would put money on 2-6-6-2's, and maybe even a 2-10-2. I can see the chance
of the 4-8-4 in a GOOD model, but probably after steam is well entrenched
in modeling again. Only large layouts could hope to run one as I can't
imagine that a GOOD running Northern is likely to be able to use anything
under 24" minimum radii. Bachmann could possibly upgrade the drive on
their current 4-8-4's and badge it a "Spectrum" but I think most would agree
that for $200 you'd want the same quality as the 2-8-0 & 4-8-2 with pipes
applied seperately. Most folk don't look at their current PRR K4 as being
in the same class as the others as it was just "rebadged" with a better drive.

The new P2K Mallet is a beautiful, extremely well running loco, and I expect
their soon-to-be-released 0-8-0 should be just as good (it better be, I've got
one on order...)

It's a great time to be a steam-lover. I was getting tired of trying to get old
Mantua's and Rivarossi's up to snuff... <g>

Chris Shinn
Winnipeg, Canada
Member, Renegade HO Modular Club
< http://members.xoom.com/renegade_MRC >
"If it ain't steam, it's a powered boxcar"