Topics

[HOsteam] Flat can with a long shaft.

Victor Bitleris

You may wish to look at eBay or some of the electronic surplus places on the internet. basically you want about a 12 or 13 mm by about 19 or 20 mm by about 25 mm. You may also need a shaft bushing depending on your worm hole diameter. It will be very difficult to find a shaft that long, but a better idea would be to use some kind of a universal to connect motor to the worm shaft, unless of course, the worm is mounted directly on the motor shaft an is an open gear rather than in a gear box. Still look at eBay, you may find a motor with that kind of shaft. The problem with eBay is that most of the time, guys selling the motors rarely give you a dimension if they are intended for a brand name loco.
By the way, most decoders can handle 1.5 amp on a slip. But, I would also bet that if you "tuned" your motor, it would perform a lot better than you think. Tuning involves setting the brushes, cleaning the comutator and lubing the bearings. I did that with a KTM open frame motor and it got tons better. It draws less than 1 amp, starts at 2.5 volts, idles down to about 1.5 volts. It was nothing like that before I "tuned" it. Some folks even replace the original magent with a stack of neodymium magnets. That really perks up the motor and drops the current draw appreciably.
You may wish to join the group repoweandregear in Yahoo Groups.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/repowerandregear/
Good luck and regards, Vic Bitleris

Vic Bitleris
Raleigh, NC

To: HOsteam@...
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:22:33 +0000
Subject: [HOsteam] Flat can with a long shaft.

Hi group.

I have a brass 2-6-0 that I have to re-power. I need a flat can 1/2 X 3/4 wide about 1 inch long with a 1 inch long shaft at 1.5mm. The open frame draws 1.5 amps slipping witch is way too much for a decoder I want to instal. Any ideas on where I might find something like this? I looked at NWSL but nothing with a long shaft.

Pete

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]