[HOsteam] driver side play

Kenneth Rickman

Since side play is there to allow a mechanism to make it around curves, an 0-4-0 should not need any side play at all. I would suggest that you make spacers to limit the play as far as possible consistent with keeping things turning smoothly. For a related example, look at any of the four axle diesel mechanisms. Each truck has almost no side play in the wheels, just enough to keep the bearings from binding, and they run quite well.

Ken Rickman

On 1/25/2013 11:43 AM, Alan wrote:
I have a rivarossi 0-4-0 mechanism...My question is what is the allowable/desirable minimum side to side movement of drivers in a frame
--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC

albyrno

Kenneth,
  That's what I thought also these are small drivers(low profile flanges not cookie cutter)shouldn't need much sideplay ,I am thinking .025 between tire and frame should give me enough  room for drivers to turn freely and enough clearance to put fine sandpaper between frame and driver back to smooth/true back of plastic driver centers if neccesary eliminating friction from wheels rubbing and provide crankpin clearance.I will make some spacers .080 longer than existing,then I can shorten to acheive desired/more clearance if neccesary.

 Alan